If you have been running a website for quite some time, you have probably heard the term “link building.” If not, then you’re up for a great discovery. Link building is a process of getting quality inbound links from other sites in an attempt to send traffic to yours. It is a laborious yet beneficial aspect of search engine optimization (SEO). If done properly, link building can greatly improve the ranking of your website, making it appear on the first page of the search results whenever people search for a keyword related to the type of product or service you offer on your website.
It is our aim to inform every website/business owner about the proper link building techniques and teach them how to use these effectively. If you own a website and are looking to build links to help increase your site’s visibility, then read along and you will find useful ideas and information that will let you do just that.
The importance of building links
Building high-quality links on external pages is extremely important for SEO because it is one of the major factors in how search engines rank web pages. The word “quality” is used here as it is the key element of a valuable link. You do not just build tons of links, you also need to make sure that the inbound links you get are from relevant and authority websites.
The benefits of link building
The benefits of link building are numerous. Here are the major ones that should excite you:
- Your website will become more visible in search results and even earn first page rankings with major search engines. More website visibility means more traffic, and more traffic means more customers for you.
- Link building helps your website receive traffic from other websites that are linked to yours. This will attract more valuable visitors and spread awareness regarding your brand.
- When your website has acquired many quality inbound links, it will be considered a worthy resource, and search engines are likely to regard your site as an authority.
Not all links are the same
Getting thousands of inbound links sounds like a great accomplishment, but that’s not always the best thing. As not all links are the same, you need to ensure that the ones you’re getting add value to your site and not otherwise.
There are many link building companies on the market who claim that they will build links for you for an incredibly low price, but these kinds of links can actually cause damage to your site instead of helping it. Here’s why: these link builders often use “black hat” link building tactics. These tactics create innumerable links with minimal effort but the effect of such links is usually short-lived, and at times can also be adverse.
Black hat tactics often build unnatural, spam my links. These strategies only manipulate the search engine results and once the search engines have detected that, your website will receive severe and irrevocable penalties. As such, you should employ “white hat” link building tactics only. These links may be more challenging and require more time to acquire, but are more beneficial and last much longer.
How to get valuable links to your website
There are many ethical ways you can get other sites to link to yours.
- Write valuable content on your website. By doing so, other websites are likely to give editorial or natural links to your website only because it contains worthy and useful material.
- Ask your business affiliates and customers to link to your website. You can also send them graphic icons or badges that will link back to your website. This is another way to create natural links to improve your page rank.
- Submit your website to directories. This can also add value and help drive traffic to your website.
- You can also make use of social bookmarking websites and do-follow blog comments. These are common strategies among website owners and are still effective until today.
Link building is an ongoing job
Once you have acquired a number of valuable links, it doesn’t mean you should stop. A website that has not gotten any inbound links in a while may appear stale and out-of-date. Search engines can determine such event and as a consequence, your site will start slipping down the bottom of the search results.
Another thing is that your competitors are likely to find out what links you have already acquired by constantly searching for your keywords. This gives them an edge over you and will make the competition even tougher.
For these reasons, you have to be hands-on when it comes to link building and if necessary, hire a search marketing consultant to help you with the grueling task of building valuable links.